Find a CBT Therapist
Search through our directory of local clinicians.
ABCT CHANGE Leaders (Challenging How ABCT Now Governs and Evolves) Program
Call for Applications
The Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies (ABCT) is pleased to announce our Call for Applications for the inaugural cohort of CHANGE (Challenging How ABCT Now Governs and Evolves) Leaders. CHANGE Leaders will have an opportunity to engage in co-governance (e.g., sharing of power) of ABCT and receive both sponsorship and mentorship from ABCT leaders over a two-year term (from May 1, 2023 through April 30, 2025).
What is the ABCT CHANGE Leaders Program? This is a new program aimed at engaging early career professionals, diverse scholars, and advanced students in a two-year, co-governance activity with assigned leadership sponsors while ABCT takes active steps to broaden and improve the diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and justice focus of its work. The ABCT Board recognizes that important structural change in our organization should come from an intersectional and collaborative process with persons who have been historically excluded, overlooked, or marginalized in their efforts to engage with organizational leadership. This unique leadership program aims to expose participants, in part, to the structure and activities of ABCT, through interactions with program directors, the Board and other leadership groups, in an effort to demystify how ABCT operates. This knowledge then will be used by CHANGE Leaders to work collaboratively with existing leadership to make a difference at a systems level.
CHANGE Leaders selected will be provided with up to $1500 in travel support reimbursement annually to attend two consecutive ABCT conventions (e.g., in Seattle and Philadelphia, respectively) and receive complimentary registration to both conventions.
Who should apply? We invite applications from ambitious terminal Master’s or doctoral students, early-stage investigators, or clinicians (<7 years since Ph.D., Psy.D., M.D., D.O., or terminal Master’s degree) who identify as minority or historically excluded (e.g., by race, ethnicity, nationality, indigeneity, LGBTQIA+, first generation college graduate, neurodivergent, and/or those with disabilities) who are motivated and interested in clinical science, leadership opportunities, and making an impact on the future of ABCT. As noted, we welcome applications from those primarily interested in clinical or research careers in our field, as well as advanced students in Master’s or doctoral programs.
10 CHANGE Leaders will be selected for the initial two-year program.
Dr. Ana Bridges, Department of Psychological Science at the University of Arkansas
Dr. Donte Bernard, Department of Psychological Sciences at the University of Missouri
Dr. Jill Ehrenreich-May, ABCT President, Department of Psychology at the University of Miami
Deadline for Applications is April 15, 2023
ABCT CHANGE Leaders Program Benefits. Each participant accepted into the ABCT CHANGE Leaders Program will be appointed for two-years terms, and will be assigned an ABCT Sponsor who is a current or prior ABCT leader (e.g., board members, coordinators, etc.) with a commitment to sponsoring diverse clinicians and scholars. ABCT CHANGE Leaders will meet with their Sponsors virtually a minimum of three times per year, and sponsorship activities will include listening and promoting ideas of CHANGE Leaders, orienting them to the organization’s structure and practices, providing mentorship as needed, and helping direct CHANGE Leaders to organizational resources. In addition, ABCT CHANGE Leaders will:
- Meet with ABCT Board members on the Thursday morning of the annual ABCT convention and in at least one other Board meeting in each year of their term to discuss organizational initiatives and share ideas.
- Develop (and potentially implement) action plans for programming, activities, or education to help support these goals developed in partnership with their Sponsor or other ABCT leadership.
- Provide feedback on relevant ABCT initiatives.
- Engage in opportunities for presenting, moderating discussions, and related activities of individual or group interest at ABCT conventions and throughout the year.
- Engage in a supportive and sponsored process for career development with a cohort of peers interested in promoting diverse future leadership for ABCT and other organizations.
- Be identified as an “ABCT CHANGE Leader”.
In order to support this program and its goals, all CHANGE Leaders selected will be expected to attend scheduled meetings with the CHANGE Leaders group, program directors, and their Sponsors from May 1, 2023 to April 30, 2025. Following a governance overview and orientation meeting, monthly meetings will be held for approximately 1 hour with program directors, plus at least 3 half-hour meetings with individual Sponsors annually, in addition to the Thursday morning meeting with the Board at the ABCT Conventions, and at least one additional Board meeting during each program year.
How to Apply? To apply for the ABCT CHANGE Leaders Program, candidates are invited to submit the following material here ABCT CHANGE Leaders Application by April 15, 2023. Questions may be directed to Dr. Ehrenreich-May at [email protected]:
- A 1 page cover letter describing one’s current position(s), prior leadership experience, reason(s) for interest in the CHANGE leadership program at ABCT, and a description of how participation in the CHANGE leadership program would benefit the applicant (personally and/or professionally).
- A current CV.
- Completed endorsement form from someone (e.g., a peer, colleague, mentor, community partner) with sufficient knowledge of your leadership potential to support your application. ABCT CHANGE Leaders Endorsement Form